Volunteers play a vital role in the Cancer Society's mission: Improving community well-being by reducing the incidence and impact of cancer.
Volunteers add value, enabling the Society to carry out and provide services far beyond those our budget would allow. They contribute to all areas of the Society's work:
- Patient support and information services
- Fundraising and special events
- Health Promotion - cancer prevention and early detection
Volunteers play key roles as:
- Fundraisers contributing to Daffodil Day and Relay For Life
- Volunteer Drivers transporting patients to and from treatment
- Patient Support/Hospital Volunteers in the Wellington Blood and Cancer Centre and Ward 5 North of Wellington Hospital, and Kenepuru Hospital
- Volunteer Visitors in the community
- Margaret Stewart House Volunteers providing support with housekeeping and gardening duties
- Administration Volunteers – supporting all areas of the Cancer Society
- Creative Volunteers – use your skills to help brighten someones day with all sorts of crafty tasks.
We take care to ensure that everyone who volunteers for the Cancer Society has a rewarding and satisfying experience, and that their placement is of real benefit to the community. Your interests, skills, experience and time available are taken into account when identifying a role for you.
We provide appropriate training necessary for the role and ongoing up-skilling opportunities are available. Support is provided by staff and fellow volunteers and a contribution to out-of-pocket expenses is offered.
If you would like to find out more about volunteering for the Cancer Society we'd love to hear from you.
Phone: (04) 389 8421
We currently have the following vacancies available:-
Make a real difference in your community and become a Volunteer Driver for the Cancer Society.
We need drivers in the
- Greater Wellington area
- Lower Hutt
- Upper Hutt
- Kapiti and Waikanae
Volunteers with their own car and a full clean driver’s licence are required to drive patients to and from treatment and treatment related appointments.
Training and upskilling opportunities will be provided and a reimbursement towards travelling expenses is offered.
Teams of trained volunteers are based within the Wellington Blood and Cancer Centre and Ward 5 North of Wellington Hospital, and Kenepuru Hospital.
These volunteers contribute to the well-being of people affected by cancer in various ways from providing refreshments, reading to or running errands for a patient, providing support for unaccompanied patients and promoting the services available at the Cancer Society.
We are currently looking for volunteers who can fill a permanent shift either weekly or fortnightly, or become a relief volunteer to cover absences..
We would be interested to hear from anyone who would like to join this team
This needs based role is a vital part of the patient support services we offer and looks after the practical and social need of a patient.
Volunteer Visitors cover many areas of support, from assisting someone with shopping, bringing patients in to group activities here at the Cancer Society, companionship for someone who spends a lot of time home alone or to allow caregivers a bit of a break.
Training will be provided and volunteers are supported by the Supportive Care and Volunteering teams.
Volunteer Visitor - Vince Beckett
Shade Loan Volunteers
Volunteers are required in Wellington and the Kapiti Coast to coordinate the loan and return of Cancer Society shade equipment requested by the public for community events during the summer months, i.e. October – March.
The role is based at the Cancer Society offices in Newtown and the Cancer Society office in Kapiti.
You will need to be available on a Monday or Thursday either weekly or fortnightly and have a reasonable level of fitness.
We are looking for volunteers to join our creative group.
There are three ways you can be a part of this team;
- Join our cutting team that meets on the third Thursday of the month from 1pm to 3pm.
- Be part of our Creative Saturday team that meets on the third Saturday of the month (Cutters/Sewers).
- Prefer to sew from home in your own time, please get in touch as we are always looking for people to sew pre-cut products.
You don’t have to be an expert, all welcome!!
People volunteer for different reasons but they all bring skills, passion and energy to their roles.
We look forward to hearing from you.
“Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much”.
Phone: (04) 389 8421