Support and information for people affected by cancer
No matter who you are, where you live, or the issues you are facing because of cancer, we can help with confidential support, and information that’s easy to read and find.
These services are available for cancer patients, survivors, carers, family/whānau and friends.
Our services help people manage the practical and mental challenges that cancer may cause.
We offer an range of practical services, including:
- information on cancer and treatment issues given by cancer information nurses
- emotional and psychological support either through counselling or workshops and education groups offered in the CanSupport programmme
- transport to treatment related appointments.
You do not need a referral so we do not receive your details from cancer team.
We’d like you to phone us on 0800 CANCER (226 237) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be given the good quality services and information.
Hear how Penny benefited from our services
Call our 0800 CANCER Helpline(226 237) today.
Listen to how the Cancer Society supported Lisa.
Hear the positive impact the Cancer Society had on Tama's life.
Listen to how the Cancer Society helped Marni.
Hear how our services will make a difference.
Hear Venice talk about her experience at the Cancer Society
To see us you can pop in to 52 Riddiford Street, Newtown, Wellington, which is just across the road from Wellington Hospital.
Free car parking is available on a first come, first served basis to those going to treatment appointments.
We run the Living Well cancer education programme.
Living Well offers practical ways of living well, building knowledge, self-confidence and self-help skills, wherever you are in your cancer journey. Read more...
For patients and supporter from other centres:
Cancer Information is available from the Cancer Society
The Cancer Society’s Wellington Division has information and books on types of cancer, ways to manage side effects and other people’s cancer experiences.
We have cancer information recorded as talking books, and in plain English that’s easy to read and understand.
You may like to read and share your thoughts on our online forum Cancer Chat or speak privately with a volunteer who’s had cancer and can support you over the phone.
We also have a Cancer Information phone line where you can speak with highly trained cancer nurses who will help you find answers to your questions.
Wellington Division’s range of information includes:
- Information packs, booklets and information sheets
- Recommended websites
- A Cancer Information Library with books and other resources available for loan. If access to the library is difficult we can arrange to send you library items by courier.
- CanTalk Newsletter
- A cancer information and support line 0800 CANCER (226 237)
- An online forum – Cancer Chat NZ
- Talk, events, seminars and drop-in sessions
Contact our Cancer Information Nurses if you are seeking any information about our services.
- Phone 0800 CANCER (0800 226 237)
- Email Info@cancersoc.org.nz
- A Peer, telephone-based support called Cancer Connect.